Thursday, May 21, 2009

Reflection paper - Cultural competency as a weapon

When I first told friends and family that I chose a study abroad program in a Muslim nation, in North Africa I got the characteristic ‘oh, that’s interesting’ reaction, though I knew that really they were experiencing one of two responses. The first being that they understood I was interested in more than the typical program, but still wondered why I didn’t choose a more ‘normal’ option; or they understood my reasoning and were supportive, but never would do it themselves.
Many didn’t even know where Morocco was- they only knew it was a Muslim nation and that meant certain things. I’d have to wear a hijab or other type of veil. I wouldn’t be able to interact with males, even on a peer level. I would be ostracized for my Christian beliefs. But the greatest concern I came across was for my safety- against Arab extremists, an idea that has recently occupied the American media and mindset. Truth be told, I wasn’t even sure what to expect. I had absorbed all of these perceptions simply by being around them. But what made me different was my awareness that these were stereotypes, and the only way I could combat them was to come and find out the truth on my own.
My studies at my home university deal a lot with stereotypes and discrimination and I hope to work with immigrants after graduation, so I chose a program that would give me a better understanding and hopefully break apart some stereotypes. So perhaps when I meet those from a culture other than my own my mind would not immediately go to the most accessible stereotype.
My studies and experiences in Meknés have given me this opportunity and more. I was able to encounter students from across the world who strive for an understanding similar to my own. I met head on my own stereotypes and encountered stereotypes against me.
Our group was invited to participate in a cultural night arranged by the Moroccan students. This night intended to exhibit the different cultures represented at our university, African and American alike. During the performances a few fundamentalist students attempted to break apart the program because their beliefs did not agree with what we were doing. Another time, towards the end of the semester, posters appeared that depicted offensive material to both the American students and the Jewish students on campus. Although both these events alarmed and distressed us we understood that these voiced positions were the opinions of few, and were precisely what needed to be addressed and changed for true cultural interaction.
The response of the Moroccan students offset the anxiety caused by the extreme actions of others. While things were being settled by the faculty the Moroccan students surrounding us repeatedly assured us how upset they were by these actions and how this wasn’t the view of typical Muslims and Moroccans. They wanted to make sure that we knew that we were welcome and that they valued the opportunity to share their culture with us, and for us to do the same.
These attitudes were further explored in a forum between the American and Moroccan students on the subject of stereotypes. The forum provided a safe and controlled space in which both sides could discuss existing stereotypes and what to do with them. It also allowed for keener insight into each culture, although on the course there were times when it was hard to let go of the rationales of one culture to see the side of the other. At one point a Moroccan student spoke about how one culture cannot heap judgments on another without first looking at itself with the same scrutiny. I was greatly encouraged by this, by the whole response of the Moroccans, and renewed my faith in cross cultural interaction.
Through this experience I was able to see just how important it was to develop a cultural competency. With a greater understanding and tolerance of different cultures, customs, and religions we can fight against the ignorance – both at home and abroad- that cripple relations. This is not something that can be learned from books or lectures, but something that needs to be experienced and action that needs to be taken. Now, I’m not saying that everyone needs to hop on the next plane to somewhere obscure and get knee-deep in peacemaking efforts, but do try and experience something new. Whether it is volunteering with immigrants, working in a soup kitchen, service projects, or even discussions with those from different political or religious affiliations, all I suggest is something to begin a process of understanding. Such efforts prove to be fatal to what stands between ignorance and cultural sensitivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment